Private individual lessons for teens are at my home, five minutes south of Greytown in South Wairarapa from Mondays to Wednesdays.
Teens like to have more say in the direction of their lessons than younger children and it is especially important for them to play music they connect with. I’ll work with your teen to understand their goals and musical preferences. If they have no idea what these are, we can try out a variety of musical styles and adapt as we go.
Though I have a classical music background, I also use other styles of music in beginner/intermediate lessons including pop chord progressions, lead sheets, simple blues, improvisation and composition. This enables students to experience a wide range of musical genres, be creative and find out what resonates with them musically.
Lessons are either:
– 45 minutes – for beginners and students who have been studying up to 4 years
– 60 minutes – for advanced students studying for exams (Grade 5 and above)
Daily practice (or near daily) is a key part of learning to play the piano – it’s like learning a new language with fine motor skills thrown in.
It takes time and perseverance for brain, body and mind to process the new information and make connections. Regular practice is where the magic happens and the rewards are huge!
In lessons, I’ll work with your teen to help them establish a practice routine that they can take ownership for. Most likely they will need some reminders at home to help them stick to it.
What is needed at home?
You will need the following at home so your teen can practise between lessons:
- An acoustic piano or an 88 key digital piano with a stable stand
- A piano stool or a seat at the right height (adjustable stools are available)
- A place to put the piano where it is possible to practise undisturbed